March 1, 2009

What is inappropriate attire at the ISO?

What should one wear out to an evening at the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra? I think that there are plenty of good options but I did see something on Friday that is best left at home; Pajama Pants! I was flabbergasted. The performance had ended and I was standing up clapping when along came two women trying to leave. One was wearing printed pajama pants and the other was wearing sweet pants. I looked over at N and we both lifted our eyebrows and cracked up. Now I know that I am not the person one looks to for fashion advice and I often miss the mark on what an appropriate outfit should look like, but I do know better than to wear my PJ pants out to the ISO. There are only two places that I can think that are appropriate: CVS after 11pm and anytime at Wal-Mart!

I had the opportunity to go to the ISO the past two Friday nights. Last Friday (02/20/09) night I saw a performance by a classically trained pianist Jonathan Biss. It was very beautiful performance. This was the first time that I experienced classical music and I really enjoyed it. I could not imagine listening to this type of music on a regular basic but I found it quite enjoyable for an evening’s entertainment. I did find it odd that the theatre was only about 1/2 full that night.

A funny thing happened at intermission while I was at this show. We were clapping forever and I thought that it was time for intermissions, so I hurriedly got up to beat the rush to the ladies room and when I came back out Jonathan Biss was still playing. I guess he was giving an encore performance, but they wouldn't let me back in so I had to stand outside and listen through the door. That is what I get for being in a hurry.


On Friday (02/27/09) night I saw "Sounds of the City" a Latin inspired classical type performance. The orchestra played a piece by Gershwin and some music from West Side Story by Bernstein. The evening also included the world premiere debut of the composition "Pereginos" by Gabriela Lena Frank based upon the Indianapolis's Hispanic community. This composition had five pieces and each piece was based on some type of Hispanic theme. I didn’t really get it. There were long pauses between each act and I couldn’t put together the story and the music. I didn’t find myself wanting to purchase the music or listen to it again. But I found the second act portion with Gershwin and Bernstein very enjoyable. I even went to the library this weekend and got a copy of West Side Story and Yo-Yo Ma to listen to. (BTW...I am listening to Yo-Yo Ma's, Simply Baroque as I write this blog.)

The Gershwin piece was performed on the piano by Gabriela Montero, who recently performed at President Obama's inauguration. She was magnificent! Her hands flew along the keyboard. I was fascinated by watching her play. It was amazing! At the end she gave us a bit of an improvisation and this is something that she is know for. I am glad that I had the opportunity to see such a talented artist.

Friday night after the ISO N and D introduced me to Nicky Blaine’s bar. Except for the smoke smell this place was right up my alley. They had individual seating areas set up with couches, chairs, and coffee tables. The music was nice and low enough to allow conversations to flow. My only objection was the price of my drinks. I ordered two Lemon Martinis and my total bill was $22.00, they were very tasty but not worth the price. We stayed there talking for about two hours and my coat still smells like smoke. I have to say that there are not very many bar type places that I enjoy visiting but this would be at the top of my list.

Overall both were very enjoyable evening's out with my friends!

No comments:

RSS Subscribe