November 3, 2008

Halloween Fun


Halloween is my favorite holiday each year. I enjoy seeing other people’s costumes and going trick-or-treating with the children. Each year my company celebrates Halloween by allowing the employees to decorate their departments, dress up and then to trick-or-treating around the building. People with children are allowed to bring them in to partake in the fun. After trick-or-treating ends in the morning the festivities end with a company sponsored lunch in our café. We had sloppy joes, hot dogs, mac and cheese and cake. I don’t think we had health in mind when these choices were made. This is the second year that I have been with my company and it is always great fun.

This year our department decided upon a theme of the sixties. We could dress up as hippies and then we decorated our department with hippy items (no not the illegal kind). Two people had several original items from the sixties, like posters and old Life magazines and we displayed them along our filing cabinet wall. I was challenged with taking these two large cardboard bus cutouts, which were used several years ago for the publishers clearing house theme, to make them into hippy buses. I was excited but scared about this challenge. I think that I am a creative person but not in a crafty way. I never make stuff…I have very little patience to finish these types of projects. But I went shopping at three different stores to get the needed supplies and tackled the project on the Sunday before Halloween. My new roommate was home and she was gracious (and excited) enough to help me. What to you think? I think they turned out pretty good. I was very proud of myself for finishing this project.

I also made my costume. I used the same fabric paints and stencil that I used for the bus to make the flowers on my shirt. I tasked JoAnne with writing the sayings. My handwriting is not very good, I think that I missed that lesson at school. I then bought some flower patches at Michaels and ironed them to my pants. Just so you know they are permanently attached to my pants…and I will continue to wear them. Then Joanne suggested a flower ring for my head. I went to Michaels again and picked up some silk flowers and the greenery and I came home and cut up the flowers and taped them to the greenery. Then I added long ribbons to the back. I am very proud of my entire costume as I don’t usually make this much effort each year. But it was fun and if I wasn’t on a coke and caffeine withdraw I probable would have enjoyed it more.

I have included some photos of our department. What do you think?









1 comment:

ems said...

I LOVE your jeans! You should continue to wear them. What a great idea! I think I might steal it, and I'm not even looking for a hippy costume.

RSS Subscribe