November 6, 2008

Goonies

Do you remember the old 1985 movie Goonies? Well I do and I went to see it last night. The movie theatre on 96th Street and I-69 recently had a series of eight classic 1980’s movies on Wednesday nights at 8pm for the barging price of $5.00. I was trying to think back to when I went to the movies when I was in Junior High and High School and I cannot remember how much I paid. Was it comparable to the $5.00. The only memory I have is my mom giving me $10 on Friday nights and dropping me off at the mall with my friends. It seamed to be enough to eat, play some video games (because that is where the boys would hang out) and watch a movie. I remember it was even relatively easy to sneak into the rated R movies.

I enjoyed seeing Goonies again last night. I know that I saw it several times when I was a teenager but I don’t remember the last time I watched it on TV. It was funny. I laughed out loud through most of the movie and little Sean Austin was so cute. I don’t think Corey Feldman was very attractive, he had a pale and pasty face, although, his redeeming quality was wearing a Prince Purple Rain T-Shirt the entire show. The sad part was he was also wearing a jeans jacket that obscured most of the shirt front.

I was surprised when we entered the theatre that it was so full of people. I would guess that they had about a 75% occupancy. That is pretty good for a 20+ year old movie. When I commented to my friend who joined me about the large attendance she said, “Candy don’t you know that there are a lot of nerds in Indianapolis”. I guess she is right and it also puts me in that category.

Last week they played the original Indiana Jones Movie. I had the opportunity to see that as well. Even though the picture quality might be better at home on my HDTV, there is still something special about being in the movie theatre. Before the movie started the announced that they were going do a series of 80’s movies again in February. Please remember that I am a nerd when I ask you to go.

1 comment:

ems said...

I own this movie and still bust it out on occasion. It's on VHS, so it's nearing the end of it's life, but still... picture quality notwithstanding, it's a GREAT movie to watch. It held up well over the years.

RSS Subscribe