November 28, 2008

Death

Two weeks ago my mothers mother passed away. She had been living in a nursing home for the last four and a half years in Ohio where I grew up. I was never close to her growing up or as an adult and I cannot remember the last time that I saw her. It was sometime after I was an adult but I cannot remember...I didn't even see her at my mom's funeral in 2004 because she was in the hospital. I felt bad the her time on earth was over but I didn't have allot of remorseful feelings beyond that.

I have been trying to remember any happy memories of her and I cannot draw any out. She was never that type of "doting" grandmother. I remember her going on vacation with us a child but I don't remember it being happy or fun.

The reason for this post is that I received some more bad news this morning. My sister called to tell me that her father had died in an accident this morning. My mom was married twice so my older sister and brother had a different father. I have been feeling remorseful all day about this...not for him necessarily but more for my sister. The was her last parent alive and she sounded so awful this morning on the phone. She was closer to my grandmother than I was so I know that her death effected her more than me and now her dad is gone so suddenly. It has not been a good November for our family.

Her father has a morning paper route and he was driving it on a county highway this morning with one of his grandchildren and he went left of center and he had a head on collision. The grandchild walked away uninjured but not him. This is the link to the online newspaper article about the accident.

http://www.sent-trib.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8481&Itemid=81

No comments:

RSS Subscribe