November 10, 2008

Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra

I had a friend expose me to some culture yesterday that I may have never seen otherwise. She had received a free ticket to the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and asked me to go with her about a month ago. I said yes with no prior knowledge of what it was about. I just let her plan the evening and I showed up at our designated coordinates yesterday at 6pm. I wore jeans and a sweater and I felt a bit under-dressed when I arrived. We got to the box office and it was still necessary to buy the second ticket as we only have one free ticket. My friend was kind enough to share the discount with me so we each split the price of the one ticket. I am glad that she did because they were pricey…$50 each. So I only spent $25, which is my limit on a ticket because I like to go and do so many things.

The event that she chose was called “A Taste of New Orleans” and it had a special guest Trumpet player and vocalist, his name is Byron Stripling. Not being familiar with Jazz music his name means nothing to me and I am not aware if he is famous. I have to say I really enjoyed the show. I am glad that she invited me and found something interesting for us to do. I love to participate in the arts but I have never been interested in the symphony. It always sounded stuffy to me. BTW…the demographic of the audience was way way into my future. We were not part of the cool crowd there.

As we sat down I thought it might be a bit boring to watch people play music on the stage, but it wasn’t. The show was two hours long and it included a twenty minute intermission and I hardly looked at my watch during the event. I enjoyed the exposure to music that I don’t normally listen to and hearing it in a different way. I am looking forward to future events with the symphony. If only someone knows a cheaper way to procure tickets…please let me know????

A Taste of New OrleansFriday, November 7, 8pm Saturday, November 8, 8pmSunday, November 9, 7pmJeff Tyzik, Conductor Byron Stripling, Trumpet and Vocalist

http://www.indianapolissymphony.org/

1 comment:

ems said...

Happy Hour at the Symphony is only $20. You get hors d'oevres and get to listen to a "concert" of sorts. It's pretty relaxed, but I've enjoyed it the two times I've gone.

http://www.indianapolissymphony.org/performances/happy_hour

RSS Subscribe