November 23, 2008

Twilight


I went to see the new Twilight movie on Saturday afternoon and I was anticipating really loving the movie because of my great love of the books. I am sad to report that the movie just didn't have the same appeal for me as the book. I liked the actors that were picked for the movie. I feel that they represented what I had in my imagination for what the characters should look like...especially Bella. But the movie had a fair amount of cheese as well as a soap opera feel.
The thing that I liked best about the book was the romance between Edward and Bella...the movie just didn't capture this for me. I don't think that I ever saw the actress smile in the movie and she always looked so sad. My favorite scene in the book was when Edward took Bella to an open field to show her how her how his skin sparkles and just generally falling in love. This wasn't really in the movie. Then all of these things were punctuated by the fact that there were several young girls in the audience who were laughing, clapping and making comments in a boisterous manner in the theatre. It was very distracting.

Another thing that I didn't like was the visual aspects of the film. Much of it was in a very close up perspective to the actors. I wanted them to pull back a bit. Most of the time you could only see the actors faces on the screen...I just wanted to see more of the scene.

I feel like I would want to see the move again by myself at home, but it didn't capture the magic of the book in the way that the Harry Potter series has been so successful.

I am sad that I didn't like it more.

I pre bought the tickets online because I had herd lots of hype that there were extremely long lines for this film. I felt a bit ripped off because there was never a line and the theatre was only about half full. Then I overpaid for the tickets....it is $10.50 to buy them online. Shouldn't I have paid an afternoon rate for the movie??? It was at 4:10 in the afternoon.

1 comment:

Moore said...

I'm sorry you did not not find it more entertaining, but the movie did need to appeal to its core audience. I will ask my friend's 11-year-old what she thought. Also, I wondered if it was hype. Regarding the pricing, I believe that theater now stops the matinee price at 4 p.m.

RSS Subscribe