December 5, 2008

3 Beers and Slumdog Millionaire


I got invited to see a free movie last night at the Art Theatre in the Fashion mall. As most of my friends know, I LOVE free stuff, so I accepted the invitation without much notice to the movie or what it was about. I arrived at the mall at 6:15 last night and found some of my friends in the bar next to the movie theatre. When I joined them I thought to myself, “What the heck…why not order a real drink…the movie is free”. So I asked the bartender if they had a Smirnoff, he said no, so I then asked if he had any “girly” drinks. He suggested this special holiday beer and he said, “It tastes nothing like regular beer, it is kind of sweet”. I said sure, why not, even though I don’t ordinarily like beer. When it arrived it tasted SOOOOOOOOOOOO good. I drank the first glass in about 10 to 15 minutes and I am fairly certain that I got a bit tipsy. I hadn’t had anything to eat since lunch so it went straight to my head. I ordered a second glass and I took it into the movies with me.

We had to arrive super early because someone was handing out a large quantity of free tickets to this movie and there was expected to be a large turnout. Se we sat around talking for about 45 minutes while I drank the second beer and ate a small bag of popcorn. The theatre got completely filled up in this time and people were even sitting on the floor and stairs to watch the movie. I think that takes dedication to be willing to sit on the floor. Just before the movie was to start I got up for a bathroom break and to get one of my friends a bag of popcorn. Somehow on my way back I ended up with a third beer in my hand. I am not sure how that happened.

I have to tell you that I am paying for the indulgence today. My head has been very thick and a little achy. I guess I have a small hangover. Maybe I need to increase my tolerance a bit. A friend told me a while ago that since she graduate with her MBA in August she was working on increasing her tolerance to alcohol and bars. I guess she wants to get good at it. I don’t think that it the move I want to take. I just should have stopped at two. O Well…I still had fun. Perhaps I was a bit overly chatty last night. Maybe my companions will have an opinion on that?


BTW...the total cost of the free movie was $18.50

So about the movie, I did like it. I don’t think that I would have ever saw it if it weren’t for the free ticket and invite, but I am glad that I spent the time watching it. It was interesting to see India and Mumbai from this perspective. There were some violent torture scenes in the beginning of the movie that I didn’t like watching. I don’t usually like movies showing people hurting each other, I find it upsetting. There was also a scene where the character as a boy jumped into the bottom of the outhouse and got completely covered in excrement and when running through the village to get an autograph of a famous actor. It was very disgusting. I might have nightmares about that for a while.

I did like the way the story was told in the film. The story was told in a flashback format about how the character knew all of the answers to be on the India version of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire”. I liked the actors and they did a very good job making the scenes believable. The movie was filmed in India and it was kind of fun to point out to my friends that I was there.

I would recommend this film to my friends and especially to my friends who went to India.

This is the info on the film.



The story of Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, who is about to experience the biggest day of his life. With the whole nation watching, he is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" But when the show breaks for the night, police arrest him on suspicion of cheating; how could a street kid know so much? Desperate to prove his innocence, Jamal tells the story of his life in the slum where he and his brother grew up, of their adventures together on the road, of vicious encounters with local gangs, and of Latika, the girl he loved and lost. Each chapter of his story reveals the key to the answer to one of the game show's questions. Intrigued by Jamal's story, the jaded Police Inspector begins to wonder what a young man with no apparent desire for riches is really doing on this game show? When the new day dawns and Jamal returns to answer the final question, the Inspector and sixty million viewers are about to find out...

Production Status:
Released


Logline:
An illiterate kid looks to become a contestant on the Hindi version of Who Wants to be A Millionaire in order to re-establish contact with the girl he loves, who is an ardent fan of the show.


Genres:
Art/Foreign, Comedy, Drama, Adaptation and Teen


Running Time:
2 hrs.


Release Date:
November 12th, 2008 (limited)


MPAA Rating:
R for some violence, disturbing images and language.


Distributors:
Warner Independent Pictures, Fox Searchlight Pictures


Production Co.:
Celador Films, Film4


U.S. Box Office:
$3,544,374


Filming Locations:
Mumbai, India


Produced in:
United Kingdom


1 comment:

Moore said...

One of the reasons I asked you to the movie was because you had traveled to India this year. I thought it would be more relevant to you than the rest of us and you could share whether you thought the filmmaker's depiction was accurate or exaggerated.

RSS Subscribe