December 15, 2008

Match.com AKA I am being crazy part II

So this whole “Internet dating” thing has sent my mind into a crazy whirlwind of emotion. I have not been able to focus on anything. I just keep thinking of things that have nothing to do with the task at hand. I guess this isn’t the time of the year to add such a large quantity of craziness to my life. I will be sitting at my desk trying to work and the next thing I know it is fifteen minutes later and I was just staring at the wall thinking.

So, I do not seem to be able to make a decision of what to do about the guy I went out with last week. After we were done with our date on Sunday, I really didn’t think that we were compatible. So I decided in my head that I wouldn’t go out with him again. But I was also going to wait and see what happened. I just couldn’t bring myself to call or write him an email. On Tuesday I received an email from him saying that he had a great time on Sunday and we should go out again this weekend. It would have been easier if he had just ignored me but then I would have been upset at being rejected. This put me into a full panic mode. I just didn’t know what to do, one minute I would think we were not compatible, the next minute I would think maybe I didn’t give him enough of a chance. Then I have had to listen to my various friends and their opinions on whether or not I should go out with him again. Now it is Thursday and I haven’t done anything yet. I am feeling very bad…like I should have contacted him by now. I feel like a jerk. No wonder "A" told me I was acting like the man in the situation. Perhaps I am too practical and analytical. But the crazy thoughts in my head NEED to stop soon! I guess I need to get the courage to send him an email tonight saying thanks, but no thanks.

*****Update*****
I did write him an email back on Thursday. I knew that I just had to do it and pull off the band aid. This is what I wrote:

"I am sorry for the delay in answering your email. You are a great guy and very nice, but I just don't think that we are compatible. I hope you find what you are looking for. Thanks for the nice date on Sunday."

I had a very large sense of relief on Friday after I finished this task. I was calm and actually able to focus on work and I got a large quantity of stuff done.



Secondarily, I must have received a large ego boost because I have reviewed the website and sent several guys emails this week. So some of them have responded but they are weird. The first weird thing happened on Tuesday. I received an email from a guy and we had the following email conversation:

Match Guy –
hi my cousin would like to chat with you he is not a member but i can give you his cell # ......thanks


C - HI There-I wouldn't mind talking to him. Could you send me some info on him??? Where he lives, what he likes, his age, a photo?

Match Guy –
HI HE JUST LEFT HERE IS HIS CELL # 765-xxx-xxxx GIVE HIM A CALL HE WONT BITE...LOL

C - Hi....so what is your cousin’s name?

Match Guy –

hi candias (HELLO…he didn’t spell my name right) we call him arnie give him a call ........


We call him Arnie….this last email seemed like the person could be crazy. I don’t know, it was some gut feeling. So I didn’t call. This task is becoming very difficult even worse than trying to find a roommate. On the judgmental side…the name Arnie sounds like someone real OLD. Do you think I should call “Arnie”? I don’t have a profile or a photo or know anything about him.

The third thing was I received a virtual “wink” last night. This person lives in Missouri . Aren’t there any boys in the Indianapolis area? Why are they emailing me from out of state. I also received a wink from a guy in Milwaukee , WI last week. These people seem fine enough, but why would I want to start conversations with strangers so far away. Maybe this is where I need to lax my qualifications.

BTW I received a viewer feedback email from Diane earlier this week that said the following:

I think there has to be some leeway in that internal list you have so you can be open to meeting someone who does not meet your"qualifications". That might be why someone said you sound like the guy. Many guys are Hef-like in their lists. Here they are older and not at their prime and they expect youth and beauty. I'm not saying you expect that, but why not consider going out with someone 5 to 10 years older than you? You really like to talk. They would be more likely to listen to you or act like they are.

So the boys have to act like they are listening…perhaps. I am a bit judgmental but I think I know right away when I meet a person if I like them. Even if I am only thinking of friendship.

2 comments:

ems said...

If you give me three guesses, I'll bet I can tell you who sent you that email. I might only need one :-)

Moore said...

Miss Candace,
How are you going to post an e-mail from me and not give me any credit? Next time I see MY words in print on YOUR blog, I would like to see Moore or MWrites following them. Thanks in advance!

RSS Subscribe