December 21, 2008

Yuletide Celebration - Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra

I had tickets last night to go and see the Yuletide Celebration at the ISO at 8pm. I have been very excited to see this event because I really enjoyed my last event at the ISO. Before the event we went to dinner at the Hard Rock cafe and enjoyed our $20 burgers. There was no waiting at the restaurant and I was surprised that they were not busier and that we didn't have to wait in line. After we ate we walked to the circle and made a round of the monument and enjoyed the beautiful lites and decorations. There were tons of people milling about and even a wedding party taking pictures on the steps of the monument.

When we got to the front of the ISO there was a pen with two reindeer's that people could look at and pet. I was shocked. I never imagined encountering a reindeer last night. They were very cute and added to the Christmas environment. I took a few pictures of my friend Casey in front of them but I didn't think to get one of me. O well.

The performance was sold out on Saturday night and there were tons of people milling about. There were so many it was hard to walk through the lobby. We chose to get the medium priced seats for this performance and I loved them. They were located in the Orchestra Box Right. They were individual seats that were very comfortable and you didn't have to sit so close to your neighbor. There was also plenty of leg room for the tall patrons...although, as you probably know I usually don't have to worry about leg room.

My overall impression of this performance was bad. They had a women from NY, Ann Hampton Callaway, who was the hostess of the event and the key singer. I DID NOT LIKE HER. She had this superior smirk on her face the entire performance. I just didn't like her demeanor and I felt like she detracted from the orchestra's music. I also wasn't impressed with her voice, it was a very low tone and I just didn't think that it suited the music she was singing. She sang a couple of duets with Daniel Okulitch and they just didn't go together. There was a scene where she was making up a song involving things from Indianapolis that the audience members yelled out from the audience. I didn't find this scene amusing or even entertaining.

There were a couple scenes that I did like. I enjoyed the beginning of the performance where they had a huge cast of singers singing "We Need A Little Christmas". There were beautiful costumes and clever dancing and choreography. I could have used more of these types of numbers and not so much of the "featured" singer. I also enjoyed the closing number of "The First Noel". I think that it was sung well and I enjoyed it.

There was a secondary distraction during the performance. Sitting in front of us were six teenagers who were not at all enjoying the show. The were talking, laughing and passing around a phone and generally distracting me. Why would they pay so much to see this show and not pay attention. Unless their rich parents paid and they just didn't care. I am all for adding cultural events to children and teenagers but they should behave. Sitting right next to us at the show were two little girls about 8 years old and they were great. The teenagers could have taken some pointers.

I plan on attending another event in February and I hope that it is better than this. I would like my money back!

1 comment:

Moore said...

I was surprised to read that you did not have a positive impression of Ann Hampton Calloway. I had the opportunity to meet her a while back and found her to be quite friendly and engaging.

RSS Subscribe