December 14, 2008

On Thin Ice - A Very Phoenix Xmas


I went to see a new fun play last night at The Phoenix Theatre near Fountain Square . I have never been to this Theatre before so I was excited to experience something new. I was very surprised when we arrived at the location because the building resided on a residential street and looked like a house and it was a bit difficult to find. When G and I went to get our tickets there wasn’t a reservation waiting for us. We had rescheduled this event a couple of times and I guess there was a miscommunication between us on who was responsible for making the reservations. I think we both decided to take fault because it wasn’t a big deal and we still got a seat.

The demographic of the audience was very different than at most of the other venues that I frequent. Most of the time the audience is comprised of older women or older couples, there usually isn’t that many younger members or people my age. When I went to the ballet last week the audience was mostly parents and young children since The Nutcracker is a family production. The audience of this show was mainly same sex and opposite sex couples around my age. I was very surprised. The second odd thing was the theatre housed a wine bar and most of the audiences were drinking it up during the show. I have been places that had alcohol but this was different, it was more like a subdued bar atmosphere and not a playhouse.

A Very Phoenix Christmas was wrote by a local women who happened to be in attendance while were there. It was a show of several short stories all dealing with Christmas in a different way. Most of it was comedy and some of it had singing. Most of it was funny and I enjoyed it but some of it was, “what was that all about?”. There were a few that were very funny and stuck out in my head. The very first one was called “Balls”, this was a short story from the perspective of four different colored Christmas balls in a box waking up thinking it was time to be put up on the tree. The balls were funny and bickered amongst each other and had very distinctive personalities. The unusual part was the balls figured out it was near St. Patrick’s Day and their ‘owners’ were having a fight and were in the midst of breaking up and dividing their things. The was a good starter story and it made me laugh.

The next one that I especially liked was titled, “Oy Vey Maria”. This was from the perspective of Mary just after she gave birth to Jesus and then her parents came over and her mother was a very stereotypical Jewish mother. It was hysterical and I laughed very hard. The actors put on the Jewish accents very thick and there was allot of funny humor poking fun at Christmas and pointing out that Jesus was a Jew.

The next scene I liked was short but humorous; it was called “Christmas at Amy Wine’s House”. This depicted Amy Winehouse having Christmas day with her family including her grandmother and father. All of the presents that she received were Heroin because they knew that was the thing she liked the best. Her grandmother gave her cocaine because she was confused about the difference between the two drugs. It was very imaginative and funny. The first thing I listened to on my IPOD Friday morning was her album.

The final scene that I really liked was called “Poodolph, the Red-nosed Reindeer". This scene took place in the ladies bathroom at a Christmas party. There were two ladies in there hiding out and one of them defecated and the toilet got clogged up. When the maintenance man was called to repair it he noticed that the poo was shaped like Rudolph including the red nose. It was very much filled with bathroom humor but it amused me nonetheless. The interesting part was while I was in line for the bathroom at intermission there was two ladies talking and she was dating the actress who does the poo scene in the play. She commented that this lady doesn’t like to talk about body functions and how uncomfortable she was in the part. She had even considered not doing the play. It is funny how you find out this insider information.

I am glad that I got a season pass to this theatre and I am excited to see more of their original productions. I would recommend it to my friends who enjoy original productions.

1 comment:

Moore said...

I've been to the Phoenix. I've attended a play there and took an acting class there as well.

RSS Subscribe