December 29, 2008

Holiday Fun

What a fun Christmas this year. I have never had such a full house….ever. My older brother Ron's ex wife and three children arrived on Christmas eve at 5pm for a week and a half visit. The children are 13, 15 and 17 and are fairly quiet people and enjoyable to be around. I immediately took them over to Lou's house so they all could go to Christmas Eve church services, I went back home and put together a yummy breakfast casserole for Christmas morning breakfast. When they all returned from church we had decedent appetizers for dinner and Lou's children opened a couple of gifts. The gifts just happened to be two fabulous Wii games, Guitar Hero and Disney's Sing It. I spent the rest of the evening upstairs with the boys playing the Guitar Hero game and loosing, but at least I was the only one who knew the words.
This is Wyatt and Ronnie
I am not sure why why Lou is so serious and I have that very odd expression?


We all went back to Lou's house at 7:30am on Christmas morning to participate in the mass opening of gifts. It was crazy...and exciting....and chaotic...and fun. Everyone was opening up their gifts at the same time. In the prior years each person opened one gift at one time. I think I prefer it that way because you can watch what is going on with every person in the room. The children seamed to enjoy their new gifts and couldn't wait to play with them. BTW....I received a bike rack for my car. So...when spring hits...I will be hitting up my friends to go bike riding with me around town.


We had a tasty breakfast and then played more Wii games until 11am when Gwen, her children and I returned to my house. We had the best time when we came home. We spent the entire rest of the day playing games - Rummycube and Cat-Opoly (Like Monopoly but with Cats). I enjoyed this time at home talking and laughing and spending time with the Himburg’s more than any other part of Christmas day. I am so glad that they came for a visit.


On Friday evening my sister Wendy arrived with her three children (11, 9, 6 years old) at 9pm for a weekend visit. I then had a total of ten people staying in my 1400 square foot house. I assure you we were all feeling the love for each other. I had the Himburg’s in my spare room which had one queen size bed and one queen size blow up bed on the floor. Then I had two twin size blow up beds and a full size blow up bed in the living room for my sister and two of her children and the third child was on the couch in my room. Joanne was lucky to be able to sleep in her room alone...except she has had to share her bathroom with all of these guests. Ashley was the nine year old in my room, and she talked and moaned in her sleep for a good portion of the night. I don't think that I got much sleep that night and it had nothing to do with me sitting up in bed with my laptop and book light playing on the Internet until all hours…ummm 2am.


I spent a good part of Saturday being a short order cook and preparing Breakfast, Lunch and dinner for the entire bunch. I have to say that it is allot more food than I usually have to prepare for just me. I made scrambled eggs, sausage and donuts for breakfast; I made tuna sandwiches with a orange and banana fruit salad for lunch and spaghetti, salad and garlic bread for dinner. I believe that I ran the dishwasher three times on Saturday as well doing a large load of dishes the old fashion manual way.


Did I mention that my sister also brought her large golden lab with her. Her name is Harley and she is gigantic. We had to make up a space for her in the laundry room as I didn't want her in the house upsetting my precious Mickey and Sparks . She stayed in there most of the time but I did introduce Wendy to the joys of the dog park. She got a temporary day pass to the one near my house and she took Harley there twice so she could frolic.


We had beautiful weather on Saturday and it would have been great to take my guests hiking but I had already promised them ice skating. We went to the Pepsi Coliseum at the State Fairgrounds and had a terrific time. Everyone got completely worn out and I didn't fall once. The best part was the great price. It is only $4 for adults and $3 for children with a $2 skate rental fee. So for just me it was only six dollars for two hours of fun. This is a very cheap and fun family activity. My sister and all of her children even have their own skates. They go often in Ohio to an outdoor location.


I was very stressed out the week leading up the all of my visitors but it was for no reason. I have really enjoyed having them here and getting to spend so much time with the adults as well as the children. It has been a good holiday break.

No comments:

RSS Subscribe