December 30, 2008

The Guide to Getting It On, 6th Edition (Paperback)

The Guide to Getting It On, 6th Edition (Paperback)
by Psy.D. Paul Joannides (Author), Daerick Gross Sr. (Illustrator)

I decided to get Wyatt (Lou’s 16 year old son) a peculiar gift for Christmas. It was an informational sex book called “The Guide to Getting it On”. I thought he would find it interesting and it would have much needed information for him.

This idea occurred to me about a month ago when Lou and I were driving to Wendy’s dad’s funeral. We agree that he got to listen to his IPOD on the way there and I got to listen to my IPOD on the way back. One of the things that I chose to listen to was a podcast about abstinence only sex education in America . I thought Lou and I could have a good conversation about the topic when it was over and I was right. I was VERY surprised to discover just how conservative he is. He believes in teaching his children abstinence until marriage…I just couldn’t believe he was saying that. We weren’t raised to be this conservative and in reality our parents NEVER talked to us about this at all. Never!

So, I took it into my hands to give the boy some educational materials. When I gave the book to Wyatt I pulled him away from the family into a room alone on Christmas Eve. I wish I had a camera to capture the pure shock and surprise on his face as he opened it up. I had him thumb through it and I asked him to read the contraception chapters first. Although, I do think that everything else is also important. Later, I found out that he shared the book a bit with my seventeen year old niece that night. I hope her mom doesn’t find out because I think that she is about 20 times more conservative than Lou is. His reaction to me giving it to Wyatt was more exasperation than anything else….I don’t think that he really minded.

I texted Wyatt today to see if he has read any of the book and what did he think? He replied that he has read the first eight chapters but he doesn’t get much private time to read while they are on vacation in Florida . A few minutes later he texted me and asked me if I had read the book. I didn’t expect that question and I was surprised. I replied back that I hadn’t yet but I planned to…now I need to get myself a copy of this book. I guess since I was the one to open up this topic with him I should now expect to field questions.

So what would you think if your COOL older aunt had given you this book as a Christmas present when you were sixteen? Would you have liked it? Would that have elevated her to GOD status? Would you have been embarrassed or able to overcome the embarrassment?

No comments:

RSS Subscribe