December 31, 2008

Inappropriate Movie

I have been spending my time in the last few months in pursuits other than watching TV. I have enjoyed reading and spending time with friends and it is becoming a secondary thought to me. Last night I realized that it had been a week since I had watched any TV and I had a movie from Netflix sitting on my dresser waiting for me to view. I decided I wanted to watch it and I asked Gwen and the children if they wanted to watch it with me. The movie was Good Luck Chuck and I thought it was a simple romantic comedy. How could I be so wrong?

Gwen told me that she had seen it before but she would watch it again. I asked her if the movie was appropriate for the children and she commented that it wasn’t too bad but maybe Melvin (the 13 year old) shouldn’t watch it. So we got Melvin set up in the other room with the Disney channel and I proceeded to watch the movie with Gwen, Heather (17), and Ronnie (15). Did I mention that the version of the movie I had was unrated. I think that this should have given me warning that perhaps this was a movie to watch by myself. It was very funny but very inappropriate. There were several graphic sex scenes that included nudity as well as sexual humor throughout the film.

Buy the end I was feeling very uncomfortable. Have I mentioned how conservative and religious Gwen is? She is a very devout Lutheran and I find her children to be very sheltered and innocent. I am not sure why she OK’ed this movie for us to watch. I could tell she was uncomfortable throughout the movie as well as when it was over. I had no idea that it was so graphic. I am also not used to having to censor what I watch, read or listen to. It is hard to have to think about those things for the length of their visit.

No comments:

RSS Subscribe