December 12, 2008

Birthday Fun

I was invited to my brother’s house on Wednesday night to attend a birthday party for my little niece who turned 6. Lou’s new wife made a beautiful Barbie cake and a tasty comfort food dinner of meatloaf, baked sweet potato and glazed carrots. The kids made up a funny play to entertain us after dinner , it was based upon Sleeping Beauty. They here hilarious. They didn’t have time to memorize the script so the had it written down on paper and propped it up where they could see it and read their lines. I appreciated their creativity. They even made set decorations with paper and hung them up on the walls.

After the great play, we sat around the table to sing her the Happy Birthday song. We turned out the lights and the candles were burning. Then poof…her HAIR caught on FIRE. You can see the little flame in the photo below but it got pretty big for a moment, and then fizzled out. I freaked out and screamed. I was so frightened for her. It went out rather quickly and she was unharmed. But she was very scared, and so was I. She was so shook up she couldn’t even eat her cake and ice cream. I felt so bad that her birthday was marred buy this awful experience. Except now we all will remember the events of her sixth birthday.

No comments:

RSS Subscribe